- I take a look at the code and wonder if I can tidy it up at all
(refactor) … and I can’t see anything.
- So I add in the next test: 3 = “II”, it fails, I change the
code so it passes, but I still can’t see anything to refactor.
- I repeat this process for tests 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, adding each test
– one at a time – making it work, trying to refactor.
- I start to think that this could be a long and drawn out
process. I can’t see anything that
I can easily refactor.
Public Function i2r(i As
Integer) As String
If i = 1 Then
i2r = "I"
ElseIf i = 2 Then
i2r = "II"
ElseIf i = 3 Then
i2r = "III"
ElseIf i = 4 Then
i2r = "IV"
ElseIf i = 5 Then
i2r = "V"
ElseIf i = 6 Then
i2r = "VI"
ElseIf i = 7 Then
i2r = "VII"
ElseIf i = 8 Then
i2r = "VIII"
 One of my very
experienced programmer friends told me that I could have refactored the code at
this stage by sorting out the repeating “I”s, for example. But, to be honest, I’m not a programmer any
more and I didn’t feel I could do so comfortably.